- 2 cups of spelt flour (plus a bit extra for kneading)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp all spice
- 7 gm sachet dried yeast
- Pinch of salt
- Zest of one orange
- ½ cup milk of your choice
- 1 tbsp rice syrup or coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla bean extract
- ¼ cup coconut oil (melted)
- 1 free range egg, lightly beaten
- 150 g raisins and currants
- ½ cup of spelt flour
- 4 to 5 tbs of water
- Mix the spelt flour, cinnamon, all spice, yeast and a pinch of salt in a mixing bowl.
- Warm the milk, vanilla and rice syrup just a little until it is luke warm (about 15 seconds), then pour into the mixing bowl along with the egg and oil.
- Mix the dough for about 6 minutes until it is smooth and elastic. Add the dried fruits, orange zest and mix through.
- Cover the bowl with a clean cloth or glad wrap and leave the dough to double in size in a warm place for about 1 hour.
- Knock back the dough and tip in onto your working bench.
- Knead a little then shape into 8 rolls.
- Cover lightly and allow to rise for another 30 minutes or until double in size.
- Preheat your oven to 160 C
- Make flour paste: Mix flour and water together in a small bowl until smooth, adding a little more water if paste is too thick. Spoon into a small snap-lock bag. Snip off one corner of bag. Pipe flour paste over tops of buns to form crosses
- Bake for 20 minutes until golden.
Share this recipe